Suspect in Port Kaituma shopkeeper’s murder likely for court today

first_imgThe prime suspect in the murder of the Port Kaituma, North West District (NWD) shopkeeper is likely to appear before the courts today.The deceased, Ramsammy Narine, 55, of Lot 27 Best Road, West Coast Demerara (WCD), operated a grocery and gas shop at Four Miles, Port Kaituma.Dead: Ramsammy NarineAccording to Police reports, the suspect and his friends were imbibing at Narine’s shop in the wee hours of Sunday when they were asked to leave as he was closing the shop, but they refused. An argument subsequently ensued and the suspect left, only to return with an arrow which he used to fatally stab the shop owner to his neck.A post-mortem conducted on Narine on Tuesday revealed that he died as a result of shock and haemorrhage due to a stab wound.The men had escaped after committing the act; however, Police ranks in F Division (Interior Locations) arrested the main suspect on Monday.F Division Commander Ravindradatt Budhram told Guyana Times on Tuesday that the suspect had been transported to Georgetown and a file was prepared and sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) that day for advice.He noted that by today, the file should be returned to investigators for charges to be laid.Meanwhile, acting Crime Chief Hugh Jessemy told this newspaper that investigators were working on information received to locate the second suspect.A relative of the deceased related to this newspaper that around 04:00h on Sunday, Narine was about to close his shop when two men, who appeared to be drunk, approached him to buy more alcohol.“They went to buy high wine, but he told them that he already closed the shop,” the relative stated.She added that Narine had already closed the gates as well, but the two men kept on insisting that he sell them. An argument then erupted among the men during which one of the “drunkers” picked up a bucket of gasoline and threw it on Narine, the relative stated.She continued that the other person was armed with an arrow and used it to stab him in his neck. The injured man was picked up and rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.last_img